I have given and cracked many all India level examinations and here are few take aways from my experiences and learnings, compiled for your benefit.
Get the maximum output from your input. While there is no substitute for hard work, supplementing it with the proper study techniques is easier.
Do not day dream; focus your senses on what you are studying. Gradually increase your study duration. Be persistent in your efforts.
SELF GOALS: CARROT & STICK APPROACH
Hard work, determination, consistency and patience is extremely essential.
Set self goals. Promise yourself a reward…say an ice cream if you complete a chapter in 2 hours. Or not watching TV if you dont complete a chapter on time.
- Do not waste time on social media, not even Quora.
- In your free time instead of surfing social media sites, search for study related topics which you sisnt understand.
- Don’t waste too much time on a question or a topic you can’t understand/solve. It is better to ask them from your teachers.
- Solve mock test papers and time yourself as you do them. Keep the time limit stringent and be honest with yourself.
- Regular practice of time management by solving practice papers will highly reduce your chances of not being able to complete the paper in the exam or making silly errors.
While you are solving mock papers, you may come across questions whose answers you know. Still, jot down the few extra points, mnemonics, other related facts/terms that come to your mind at that time after reading that question so that the next time you come across that same question, you can also glance across the other points you noted down yourself. This ensures easy and fast revision and the probability of missing out on topics while revising is also greatly reduced.
Always highlight important points in your text for quick revision. You cannot read the whole text during last time revision.
HEALTHY COMPETITION WITH FRIENDS
Engage your friends in conversation that hovers around studying then wasting time on chit chatting. Develop a feeling of healthy competition with your friends.
Don’t be jealous of them if they know more or don’t become complacent if they don’t fare well. Remember, you are not just competing against them but lakhs of other students.
Keep following your progress. Do not expect over night increment. Identify your mistakes and correct them.
KEEP YOURSELF MOTIVATED
Do not lose hope. Do not get depressed or anxious if you don’t pass in the first attempt. Keep working hard in the right direction.
Happy Studying 🙂