Admission Counselling by medical students from medical colleges all across India, is an initiative on the part of PMT Gurumantra, so that you won’t be alone while making the toughest choice in your life. A student needs to do a lot of research on the college before choosing it and the major problem that arises here is the lack of correct information. But we, at PMT Gurumantra, are determined to solve all the problems and doubts that may come across your mind.
It is often seen that students are misguided by the lists of top medical colleges published in various magazines and websites. They claim that their survey is based on education facilities and research opportunities provided by the institution but it is usually seen that they include some of the private colleges in the list too which don’t seem to fit in.
So don’t follow them blindly; instead select your own preferences and do your own research by keeping the following factors in mind:
1. College Infrastructure – Old /New, Good / Bad
2. Internal PG (as in AIIMS,VMMC & IMS-BHU) – It is the biggest deciding factor while choosing a medical college. Always give it a priority.
3. Hospital Infrastructure – The more the diagnostic facilities available, the more do you get to learn about them.
4. Average number of patients visiting the OPD per day – more are the patients, more are the variety of cases you will come to see in your clinical postings.
5. City (Delhi = Mumbai > State Capital > Cities > Town
Prefer Delhi; Delhi Advantages – cultural fests of plenty of college, PG coaching, good exposure, near home, well connected, good food etc.
6. Home State
7. Number of PG states in state ( UG:PG ratio should not be skewed)
8. Bond for rural posting (in Maharashtra)
10. Past academic record
11. Hostel facilities (you are going to spend the most unforgettable 51/2 years of your life here!!!)
12. Ragging scenario – yes it is still prevalent in many colleges in UP and Bihar; but it’s fun in rest of the colleges.
13. Fees (lowest in AIIMS, MAMC, LHMC & UCMS)
14.Recreation Facilities – sports, culture, literature – AIIMS and AFMC are the colleges where you would get ample opportunity to groom your interests and passion.
15. Attendance – yes! Not now, but once into college you would realize that you should have chosen a college where regular attendance is not a compulsion – here too AIIMS leads the list.
16.Salary – Confirm the current salary paid to the interns and PGs to the students in the college you are taking. Compare it with other colleges. It is lower in MP, Maharashtra and other states…In Delhi the salary paid to the interns is around 12-14000 and to the PGs its 50000 approx..
17. Language – Students from North may have language barrier in southern states and Maharashtra..Similarly South Indians will not feel comfortable in Punjab , Orissa , North East..So it is better to choose your own state or a state where language is not an issue e.g. Delhi, MP, Rajasthan, Western UP
For the list of top medical colleges..click here
Also follow last year’s counselling status to predict what college you’ll get..click here
i hv written aipmt this year but cld nt crack it.so i hav decidd to drop a year .i hv joined a local coaching insgitue.but since the classes r fro.8:00Am to 4:30Pm i am not getting enough tym fr self study.i am able to understand ncert without any help. s advice .e wether to stop or to cntinue coaching classes.
continue your coaching, in the very beginning it is difficult to manage, however slowly and steadily you will be able to give enough time. there is a post of routine for college going students. consult that
Got VVMC and AIIMS bhopal. confused which one to prefer. please advise.
if u want that brand name of AIIMS in your life then go for it. else vmmc is good enough
Rahul Sir, Plz Publish Physics and Chemistry @ Your Fingertips…….This Is A Humbly Request From Your Juniors…….Plz,Plz Sir